Okay so i’ve taken my love for baking to the extremes lately,
Baking up a new batch of brownies or crumble 3 times a week.. Attempting to put said batch in the freezer so itl ‘last longer’ when really I just like the taste of frozen treats. This would be totally forgivable if I lived in an apartment with 5 guys, or I was kind enough to share with neighbors next door. But no. Its just me and my equally sweet-toothed boyfriend Tom here, enjoying the belt-straining fruits of my labour.
Perhaps it was the craving for a slightly healthier baked treat, that gave me the inspiration to create this beautiful zucchini loaf. I knew I wanted there to be flour in it, but I didn’t want it loaded with sugar and oil like most breads. The consistency and texture had be considered ‘normal’, or I would most likely scare Tom away from any healthier attempts at baking in the future. Without being sinfully sweet, this loaf is pleasingly flavored with just enough honey to leave you satisfied.
This recipe is actually better suited for muffins, I just happen to not have acquired one yet in my little apartment in Wollongong. So go ahead, make yourself some zucchini muffs, they are perfect for your lunch bag or afternoon tea.
Honey Almond Zucchini Loaf
- 2 cups white/whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- tbsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 overripe banana, mashed
- 1 cup zucchini, grated
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 whole egg, 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup crushed raw almonds for topping
- Prepare your muffin tins, or loaf pan: Spray generously with cooking spray or use parchment paper for an easy lift.
- Preheat oven to 325
- Combine dry ingredients: Flour, salt, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda in medium bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients: thoroughly mix mashed bananas, yogurt, eggs, oil, honey. Incorporative grated zucchini.
- Combine wet ingredients to the dry, using a spatula to scrap down the sides. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Top evenly with raw crushed almonds.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes for muffins or 30 minutes for loaf pan. Or until inserted knife comes out clean