Gluten free baked goods are a fine art.
I have yet to master the mysterious witchcraft of combining different flours and oils to create a delicious wheat-free product. After many attempts with coconut flour, and one too many disappointing muffins later I have almost sworn off of experimentation.
Almost. I wont give up that easy. But it is a tad intimidating when you ask your favourite gluten free baker whats in her scones and she replies ‘rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, and xanthan gum’ ….uhhhh what????
Oat flour, is my reliable best friend when it comes to basic gluten free baking. It wont whip up a fantastic batch of scones, but it will work in your simple muffin, bread or pancake recipes.
I’m so happy with the turnout of these muffins because they remind me of the ones my mom made every fall around this time. You cant make apple crumble muffins without a crunchy topping in my books, and this one is not loaded with butter. These beauties will get you out the door in the morning, and go nicely with your afternnon tea time.
and yes they are VEGAN and GLUTEN FREE so perfect for sharing.
Clean Apple Spice Muffins with Crunchy Oat Topping Recipe
- 1 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup large flake oats
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup maple syrup *add more if you like sweet
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- dash nutmeg
- dash salt
- 3 tablespoon oats
- teaspoon coconut oil
- tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 dashes cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 and prepare 10 muffin tins with muffin liners.
- Combine ALL ingredients in food processor except the 1 cup of oats. Blend until smooth
- Fold in oats.
- Pour into muffin tins, about 90% full.
- Combine topping: with hands or fork mix the cinnamon, coconut oil, maple syrup and oats together.
- Carefully top muffins with oat mixture.
- Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes, or topping is golden brown.
Store in air tight container. Yum!