2 wrongs don’t make a right, but 2 healthy items + 1 gluttonous item fuse to make a soup no one can say no to. And its totally healthy. But healthy in the way that your kale-challenged man friend will eat it
This is the fall day, sunny outside, yet crisp air soup. We ate it on my back patio with some cold beer. Then the next day for lunch with some toasted olive bread. It has a smoky backdrop from the chorizo that is irresistable. Go for it. The ‘oohs and ahhs’ you get with this guy are awesome.
Hearty Kale, Quinoa & Chorizo Soup
- 1/2 large head of kale, chopped roughly
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloved garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 chorizo sausages uncooked and chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (15 ounce)
- 2 cups water (+ more if needed)
- teaspoon dried basil
- teaspoon dried thyme
- teaspoon dried oregano
- generous salt and pepper
- In a large soup pot, toss in the chopped chorizo, carrots, celery, and garlic with some olive oil. Heat on medium high for 5-7 minutes until you get a browning on the bottom of the pot.
- Add in chopped kale, stirring for 2-3 minutes until kale has wilted a fair bit
- Add in crushed tomatoes with their juice, broth, water, quinoa, and all spices
- Bring soup to a boil, and then simmer on low for about 25 minutes.
- Taste soup and adjust seasoning accordingly
- Serve HOT! and add more water or broth if needed. (the quinoa soaks up the water as it sits in the soup)