Quinoa for breakfast is not a new ‘Ah-ha moment’ apparently… queen Martha’s been doing it for ages. If you are are someone who likes her oatmeal as much as the next girl, but has issues with the sludge/glue/mushy textural aspect of it, you will be enthralled by quinoa in the AM.
I have recently started a new job…which requires me to work certain 11-7 am shifts. How does one pack for this kind of evening? I experimented at first with bringing my regular spinach and avo salads. To my discouragement, even my most coveted salads were unappealing at the hour of 4am. This is what led me to experiment with quinoa oatmeal.
Often times we need something that is substantial and nutritious, but cant stomach a large savory meal. This breakfast bowl fits that bill, as well as providing you with bomb protein/fiber induced energy and all over good vibes.
OH YEA- and you cant make it much ahead of time, keep it in the fridge, and pick at it all week. Top as you wish! It will make your body happy.
- diced apple
- raw chopped almonds
- unsweetened coconut
- dried cranberries
- heaps of cinnamon
Sweet Quinoa Breakfast Bowl Recipe (1 large serving)
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup water
- teaspoon cinnamon
- teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons large flake oats
- choice of toppings
- Rinse uncooked quinoa thoroughly
- In a small saucepan, combine uncooked quinoa with water, milk, and cinnamon. Allow to boil, then reduce heat to low simmer for 12-14 minutes until most liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in oats and sugar.
- Top with favourite ingredients- apples and extra almond milk and cinnamon are my fave!
- Store in fridge for 3-5 days.