Temporarily over anything gluten-free-related.
The overwhelming influx of those two words scattered over everything from recipe books, pizza menus, news paper articles and bakery signs is getting a little aggravating. I knew we had a problem when my bread-loving father asked me if I had heard of ‘Wheat Belly’. And when Tim Horton’s started selling dried out macaroons in plastic wrappers. All of this GF infatuation in the food world can be enough to send a girl in a rebellious banana bread tail spin.
Or maybe im just grumpy cause I miss eating crusty baguette. And avocado on toast.
As a result, this chilly week inspired a switch on my latest baking routines. This recipe, for a tart cranberry loaf is 100% gluten-filled and delicious. It is however, animal product free for all of the vegans in the house. You will love its sweet citrus smell, and tart bites of cranberry.
Perfect for a fall afternoon with chamomile tea.
Citrus Cranberry Loaf Recipe
- 2 cups white/whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- pinch salt
- zest from one orange
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1.5 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup vegetable/coconut oil
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- Prepare a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray and preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and orange zest.
- In a separate bowl, combine oil, milk, and lemon juice.
- Slowly incorporate wet ingredients to dry, being careful not to overmix.
- Fold in cranberries
- Scoop batter into prepared pan.
- Bake loaf for 45- 55 minutes, or until inserted knife comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before removing from loaf pan.