Chewy, sweet, with hints of coconut, these bars are addictive as they are healthy. Lightly drizzled with dark chocolate and sweetened with dates, they act as a dessert and an energy bar in one wholesome bite.
Everyone needs a good natural energy bar recipe. Whether you plan to be on the plane for 20+ hours or hiking the Bruce Trail with your pooch. There is just way too many unfamiliar ingredients in even the so called ‘nature’ bars. I have been trying and testing out many a granola bar recipe, but what really makes them shine is the gorgeous dates, which provide lots of sweet and chewiness.
These babies are everything you want in a portable snack:
- packed with protein and fiber
- no sugar added
- gluten free
- no oil
- topped with chocolate
Need I say more?
These could be made vegan easily be subbing out the egg. Who needs it.
Oh yeah.. I am off with my mom to travel Southern India for a few weeks. It is a dream come true as I have never travelled outside the North America/ Europe bubble.I hope to come back with many new inspirations for the kitchen!
Chewy Chia Coconut Almond Power Girl Bars
- 2 cups pitted dates
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened nut butter
- 3/4 unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup large flake oats (instant works fine too)
- 2 tablespoons chia seed
- 1 egg, beaten
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate, for drizzle* optional
- Preheat oven to 335 degrees , prepare a 9 X 9 baking pan with cooking spray
- In a food processor, combine dates and water until smooth
- Add in 1/2 of oats, chopped almonds, and egg. (Food processor might get jammed at this point. Help it by pushing ingredients off the sides of the food processor). Blend until all ingredients are incorporated. Doesn’t have to be smooth
- Empty date mixture into medium sized bowl.
- Fold in rest of oats, salt, and chia seeds, working through till combined
- Scoop mixture into baking pan.
- Flatten out with your hands or a spatula
- Bake for 23-28 minutes, until top is browned and slightly crispy on the sides.
- Remove from oven and let cool
- Drizzle with melted chocolate if you like, or sprinkle with coconut
Store in airtight container, Preferably in refrigerator.