Devilish sugar addicts like myself know how much the holidays can send them into a happy tailspin of binging on chocolate, baked goods and that coveted candy cane ice cream. Not only is our pintrist, holiday magazines and grocery store aisles boasting our favorite holiday treats, but there are parties to attend where the champagne is flowing and no one is judging your third slice of cheesecake.
Since I have been home from my trip the family has been busy hosting a Christmas family reunion weekend. This brought a tizzy of
excitement and fun into the home. Any opportunity to force my baked goods upon loved ones is finnnnne by me. Tasties on the docket were:
- mini fudge brownies with crushed pistachios
- chocolate drizzled shortbread
- blackberry raspberry cheesecake
- peach and strawberry trifle
Of course our eyes were bigger than our tummies; leaving us with a fridge full of leftovers that I visited on an hourly basis. Combine that with the generous boxes of chocolates, wine and cookies that our guests brought and I was in heaven. In order to restore a little balance in between my holiday food fests I have adapted a little plan for holiday eating;
Monday- Friday: nutritious, veggy-full, protein-rich and low on sugar and alcohol (wine doesn’t count)
Saturday- Sunday: boozy suzie, carbs R US and bring on the brie coma.
Everything in moderation, even healthy eating right?
Lets talk about this holiday quinoa! Besides being pretty it is honestly my new favorite quinoa recipe ever. The roasted vegetables bring so much flavor that you don’t even need to add dressing or seasoning after! Your entire kitchen will smell like heaven hit it and your mouth will agree.
Roasted Veggie Quinoa with Feta Recipe (Serves 2)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 red pepper, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup red onion, cut into chunks
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- generous salt and pepper
- drizzle of olive oil
- 2 tablespoon crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup spinach, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine chunks of veggies with dried spices and olive oil.
- Bake for 15- 20 minutes until vegetables are lightly blackened in parts.
- Let cool slightly, then chop into finer pieces.
- Toss warm veggies with spinach to allow to wilt.
- Finally, mix quinoa with veggies and top with crumbled feta.
- Serve at room temperature.
Tangy Orange Raspberry Juice
- 3/4 frozen raspberries
- 1/2 orange
- 1/2 banana
- 2 cups water
Blend till smooth and enjoy frosty cool 🙂