This bowl of yum was truly serendipitous; the other day as I was roasting some broccoli and sweet potato heavily seasoned with curry powder and cayenne it just sort of fell into a pot of chicken broth and simmered there a while….
25 minutes later and a blender later, my new favorite soup was born! you could call it a Christmas miracle
Speaking of Christmas miracles… shout out to all my friends in Toronto who have been living without power for 2 days… You don’t realize how much you depend on it until your freezing cold and your turkey is dethawing! My heart hurts thinking all of that wonderful holiday food being tossed out 😦 Hope very much it is back on soon so you can warm your toesie’s up.
This is the perfect soup for inbetween crazy decadent holiday meals. Its major filling and stocked with vitamins and goodness.
The pair of broccoli and sweet potato might seem unlikely…until you try them in sweet harmony in this soup. Roasted sweet potatoes make the soup superbly creamy, and the broccoli gives it some tang! I made mine extra spicy with lots of red pepper flakes, but you can omit those if you just want a lightly seasoned curry taste.
Roasted Sweet Potato Broccoli & Curry Soup Recipe (Serves 4)
- 3 cups broccoli, chopped and large stems removed
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flake (omit if you aren’t keen on spice)
- heaping teaspoon curry powder
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 375
- Prepare a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Combine chopped onion, potato, broccoli and garlic with all spices
- Toss veggie mixture with olive oil
- Evenly spread out on cookie sheet
- Bake for 22-25 minutes until veggies are tender and golden brown
- Empty roasted veggies into large pot on stove
- Add vegetable broth to roasted veggies, and turn heat to high
- When broth begins to bubble, put a lid on the pot and let simmer on low for 25 minutes
- Let contents cool slightly, then toss into a blender
- Blend on high for 3 minutes until soup is nice and smooth!