…Like watching Ellen in your penguin housecoat
Creating an at home spa; bubble bath and candles included
‘Research’. aka excessive pintrist perusing
And ofcourse endless amount of time messing up the kitchen. Yesterdays exciting project was mastering the Healthy Falafel. Oh yes. and because I had copious amounts of time on my hand I roasted the garlic to put in said falafel bites. Did it make a huge difference in taste? I’m not going to say yes. But do not be shy on the garlic regardless.
These are the perfect little balls of convenient protein, fiber and tastiness. Baked not fried, the texture is lightly crunchy on the outside and soft and smooth on the inside. The flavour is zesty, garlic-y and lightly seasoned with parsley. If you are a fan of traditional falafel, which usually comes deep fried, tossed in a huge white pita and smothered with some sort of magic mayo sauce…you will chomp these healthy counterparts happily 🙂
Serve these up in a warm whole wheat pita with some veggie, or atop a luscious green salad to make it a hearty meal. Oh yeah, and serve it with this zesty yogurt sauce I have also included.
Falafel Bites Recipe (Makes 10 balls)
- 1- 15 ounce can cooked chic peas
- 1 entire garlic bulb
- 1/3 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoon of flour (any kind)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Roast your garlic! Easy Roast Your Galic How-To
- Combine chic peas, roasted garlic, chopped parsley, and lemon juice in the food processor. Whiz until nicely combined
- Sprinkle in seasonings and whirl around again.
- Using a spatula, scoop out falafel mix into a medium bowl
- Spoon in flour and baking powder and mix just until combined.
- Wrap bowl and refridgerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour to firm up the mix.
- Preheat oven to 400 F, line your baking sheet with parchment paper
- Form the mixture into 2 inch balls onto sheet
- Bake in oven for 20- 25 minutes, flipping them about halfway through
- 1/2 cup plain green yogurt
- 2 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- pinch of salt
Combine all ingredients together and store in a small container. Keep refrigerated.