I was struggling with the idea of posting today; let alone eating anything besides oatmeal and peanut butter. You see, I have a very sick puppy on my hands and its heart breaking to see an innocent animal in even the slightest pain.
Georgie likes to run. Georgie has the hyperactivity of a 6 year old after 10 popsicles. Georgie went for a wild-dog hike through the woods yesterday and came back very wounded and needed a lot of stiches.
6 hours at the vet emergency later, Georgie comes home with a ginormous cone on his head and terribly confused. He wants to go outside to play but he is lethargic and dopey and scratched. For now I have been trying to calm him by giving him massages and bacon treats. If any of you have pets I’m sure you know how difficult it is to watch them suffer in silence. On a positive note. Georgie is young and will get better in time. We have a lovely comfortable bed set up for him to enjoy his peanut butter Kong’s on.
This salad is a healthy comforting meal, with crispy roasted sweet potatoes and crunchy sweet apple. The Dijon dressing flows and treats the taste buds to sweet harmony. This is an easy make ahead salad that you can bring to work already dressed and ready. The kale holds dressing very well without getting soggy. I made this for a Sunday dinner last week and the whole family loved it.
this recipe is for two, but easily multiplied to serve a crowd
Dijon- dressed Kale Salad with Roast Potato & Apple (serves 2) adapted from realsimple.ca
- 1/2 sweet potato, chopped into small chunks
- 3 cups kale, chopped
- 1/2 gala/honey crisp apple, chopped into small pieces
- 2 teaspoon hemp hearts
- optional but delicious: dried cranberries, nutritional yeast
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Roast the potatoes for 20 minutes at 400 degrees until soft and crispy on the outside. Set aside to cool slightly
- Prepare dressing by whisking all ingredients together and seasoning with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust if necessary.
- Combine 1/2 of the dressing with chopped kale: massage dressing into kale with your hands until kale is completely covered**
- Toss in the slightly warmed potatoes and chopped apple.
- Sprinkle salad with remaining dressing and hemp hearts
** You can massage the dressing into the kale ahead of time if necessary, the kale will still hold up well. Just save a bit of the dressing to polish off the salad at the end.