Do I have your attention yet? Ain’t no thang like enjoying your favourite fruits in pie form, adorned with a crunchy, cinnamon-kissed almond topping. This raspberry-tart offers all of the simple pleasures of mama’s Sunday pie, without the butter, refined sugar, and white flour.
This summery pie was inspired by a celebration of fresh new beginnings. January has been a month of transition, rest and repair. But February represents the start of an amazing year, kicked off officially by my 24th birthday this Sunday. Marking this transition to 24 even more exciting, is a new job opportunity that I have been graced with this very week. I am pumped to able to work in an inspiring environment which emulates my passion for delicious whole foods- as well empowers my creativity and ideas!
My current yum-o-meter for judging the lovability of my vegan/wheat free treaties is none other than my dear father. He doesn’t get down with most gluten free fare, so I was glowing when he asked for a second slice of this beauty. If Cam likes it, even the most discerning of boyfriends and little brothers will gobble up without complaint.
Raspberry Apple Tart with Almond Crumble Topping
- 1.5 cups oat flour (about 2 cups ground gluten free oats)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 ripe banana
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 raw almonds
- teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon coconut sugar/dark brown sugar/ maple syrup
- 1/3 cup gluten free oats
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1.5 cups raspberry (I thawed out frozen)
- 2 apple, peeled and then shredded
- teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- pinch lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Prepare Crust: Grind up oat flour, and add remaining crust ingredients into food processor. Blend until batter begins to form together.
- Scoop out all crust dough except 2 or 3 tablespoon. Press dough evenly into pie plate with fingers.
- Prepare filling: combine raspberries and shredded apple in medium bowl. Drain excess liquid. Add in lemon, cinnamon, cornstarch and maple syrup. Stir to combine
- Pour apple filling into crust and spread out evenly
- Prepare crumble topping: Add almonds into remaining 2 tablespoons of dough left in the food processor. Blend until almonds are mostly ground and mixture is crumby. Stir in cinnamon, coconut sugar, oats and melted coconut oil.
I froze my topping for 10 minutes at this point to harden up the coconut oil
Crumble oat-almond topping overtop raspberry filling. (If you want big crunchy chunks, squeeze together the topping into clusters with your hands first)
Bake tart for 20-25 minutes until top is golden brown and raspberries are lightly bubbly.
Serve lightly warmed with a dollop of vegan ice cream or yogurt!