It is with wide open arms that I welcome back my chocolate addiction. After my guiltless Christmas blitz of lindor’s for breakfast, lunch and dinner I said tootleoo to chocolate for a little while. (Terrible decision, I know).
Although the separation brought on initial anxiety and withdrawal, I was able to push through a month or so without calling on my dark, rich and tasty friend for comfort. I had less cravings, slept easier and my tummy felt great. Life was good. But I missed my dear friend.
I had been ignoring cacao for a while I must admit. The ever baffling question of ‘CACAO vs COCOA’ kept me tossing and turning with questions like
- whats the big diff?
- what is ‘raw’ cacao and why is it any better for me than my box of turtles?
- do smarties count as a superfood
these mysteries of life kept me wide awake at night. But then I gave up resisting, headed straight for the bulk foods section and never looked back.
Experimentation with the nibs led me to create these wonderful cacao-coconut cookies. They are dark, fudgy and yes I’m gonna say it BROWNIE-ish. (a perfectly fine adjective). A healthy, and decadent way to indulge your inner chocoholic. I keep mine in the freezer because they taste lovely frozen OR thawed.
Fudgy Cacao Coconut Cookies Recipe (makes about 12 cookies)
- 1/2 cup oat flour + 1/3 cup gluten free oats
- 4 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes + more for rolling cookies in
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- pinch cinnamon
- tablespoon chia seed or flax seed + 2 tablespoon hot water
- 2 tablespoon nut milk
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- tablespoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoon almond butter
- 2.5 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 4 tablespoon coconut cane sugar or brown sugar
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chunks (70% or higher)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare pan.
- Sift cacao powder, oat flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Add in oats and shredded coconut.
- Prepare flax ‘egg’ by combining flax seeds with hot water and stirring. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Into flax egg, whisk nut milk, maple syrup, vanilla, almond butter and melted coconut oil until combined. Stir in coconut sugar.
- Fold dry ingredients into wet until smooth and combined. Stir in cacao nib.
- Roll cookie dough into about 12 small balls. Roll into coconut to coat completely.
- Bake for about 10 minutes.