I’m about to make you crave raw broccoli in ways you probably never thought possible.
Crunchy, crispy, tangy, nutty with bursts of sweet acidity, this salad has everything you want in a slaw. But what better way to get your super greens in then covering it in a nutty sesame dressing.
Although its usually served cooked because of its ‘tough’ tendencies, raw broccoli is bursting with health benefits just waiting to be taken advantage of-
- crazy long list of vitamins and nutrients
- impressive cancer fighting skills
- naturally detoxing and cleansing
- aids in strong bones, healthier skin and eyes
So lets get chopping shall we? I almost forgot to mention this is paired with the dressing to end all dressings. Similar to my Sassy N’ Spicy Pad Thai but ramped up in flavour. The perfect match for broccoli and cabbages lightly bitter reputation.
Outrageously Crunchy Broccoli Slaw Recipe (makes about 4 large servings)
- 2.5 cups broccoli, chopped into very small pieces
- 1.5 cups cabbage, chopped into slices
- 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup cilantro (optional but tasty)
- handful dried cranberries
- handful of cooked quinoa (optional but makes it a great dinner)
Sesame Ginger Sauce (aka the dressing to end all dressings)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 heaping tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoon tamari/soy sauce
- 2.5 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
Dressing should taste tart, salty, but a little creamy. Adjust with more vinegar/soy/oil if necessary.
Simply blend all ingredients in your food processor until almonds have broken down and sauce is fairly smooth. There will still be little almond pieces but that’s okay!