This weekend I was craving meat…
On the sunny walk home through the snow my tummy was rumbling to a higher frequency…one that only a real man-burger could fill.
Or rather, a southwestern kale & quinoa burger. High in protein, great meaty texture and amazing flavour.
Unapologetically messy, satisfying and definitely requiring two hands to eat.
The ‘OMG’ is very necessary in describing this burger… paired with avocado lime sauce it provides an oh-wow moment upon first bite.
Eat it between two burger buns, stuffed with arugula or spinach and you have yourself one hell of a sand which. Or eat it open faced with knife and fork like a lady. Or bring it for lunch atop a kale and cherry tomato salad. The options are endless….your tummy is full.
OMG Southwestern Kale & Quinoa Burger (makes 7-6 burger patties)
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup kale. roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds OR cashews (preferably soaked for 30 mins)
- 1/4 chic peas
- 1/4 cup black bean
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- tablespoon Dijon
- tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp chilli powder
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper
- dash hot sauce
- 1 flax or chia egg (1 tablespoon ground flax mixed with 3 tablespoon hot water)
- With a dash of oil, sautee garlic and onion until almost translucent. Toss in chopped kale and allow to wilt for about 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- In food processor, combine sautéed veggies with chicpeas, black bean, cooked quinoa and nuts. Blend until nicely combined and all major chunks are broken down.
- Stir in seasoning: Dijon, chilli powder, cumin, salt and pepper, lemon juice and hot sauce. Blend for a couple more seconds and taste. Should be tangy, and a little spicy. Add more seasoning if necessary.
- Stir in flax egg.
- Scoop out mix and form burger patties to your size liking.
- Heat up oil on large frying pan. When pan is hot, place 3-4 burger patties about 1 inch away from each other.
- Set temperature back to medium and allow 5-6 minutes per side for proper cooking. Patties should be golden brown on both sides
*Patties may be soft and hard to manage when they are right off the grill, but as they cool they firm up a lot.
Tangy Avocado Lime Sauce
The measurements for this sauce are more of a personal thing, so just go ahead and mash up your avocado and taste as you go.
This beautiful sauce can be used from everything to burritos to eggs to quinoa salad!
- couple sprigs of cilantro
- dash red wine vinegar
- large squeeze of lime
- hot sauce
- chilli powder
- dash hummus* optional for creamyness